Hero.

Loading...

26 January 2012

Locust of Control

Strong locust of control. 
I'm endeavouring to complete PSYC356 by the end of February. I will finish the course...at least everything is set in motion for me to complete it on time. I wrote the final short quiz this afternoon, I have a multitude of research papers printed out for review (for final paper), and I have set the date for my final exam.
Today I read more about "locus of control" as proposed by Julian Rotter. Rotter basically wanted to be able to predict people's behaviour. What he discovered was the higher people's internal locus of control the better off they seemed. There has been a tonne of research done on this topic over the years. Maybe I should be writing my final paper on internal locus of control. However, I suppose it could relate to meditation/mindfulness/zazen/Buddhist principles. I'll have to do a search of "locus of control and mindfulness" or maybe just "Rotter and Mindfulness". I'll keep you posted.
So, pretty much, locus of control is "the belief people have that their attempts to reach a goal are within their control (internal locus of control) or are primarily due to powerful events such as fate, chance, or other people (external locus of control). Locus of control is measured by the Internal-External Control Scale." So, this scale attempts to figure out Where your locus of control primarily sits. Does it sit in the blame section of the bleachers or does it take its place directly on the field - are you participating in your life or are you simply letting the external world determine your outcomes? Apparently, being all of internal or all of external is not desired, but if you have a leaning towards internal locus of control you are better off for it. There have been studies...since I'm not being marked on this blogpost, I'm not going to find the source to quote it...you could check out the text book that references it: "Theories of Personality", 7th edition by Feist and Feist.

No comments: