Hero.

Loading...

23 September 2011

Silly Zazen - just keep at it.

After sitting through my annoyance of 'no teacher' I finally picked up the book, "Zen Mind Beginner's Mind" again. I read the best chapter and regained confidence in my practice. I don't know if confidence is the right word or not. I read last night something along the lines of not giving up if you don't have a teacher. Something about when you work out there are difficult points to it and you have to work through it - that means it's working. I have had the opportunity to recognize the weakness in my practice. He wrote about that too.

So, in the spirit of Charlie Brown and Lucy...I will continue to hold up the football for myself and run at it as quickly as possible with as much intention of hitting it through the hole in the ozone...and each time the ball gets moved away just before I hit it...I'll smile and try for it again. And then I might realize that I need to lose the expectations and just sit. :) 
Okay, so I've been thinking about the whole Lucy duping Charlie Brown every time she holds up that damn football. I'm starting to think she's that nasty Zen Master whacking him with a stick every time he sits wrong or being non-pulsed when he shares some "amazing" thought discovered while pondering all of the little nuggets gleaned while being "open" to it all. Maybe there's a book deal out there for someone - unless it's already out there...you know, like the "Tao of Pooh" book...there could be one comparing the Peanuts characters to the teachings of Zen. ? Who knows...?

No comments: