Hero.

Loading...

23 May 2011

Common Compassion

First time for me being at work after a co-worker has died. It seems to me that we all grieve differently with little bits all colliding in common. When speaking with each other, it is best to use a little common compassion. It's more than common sense. People grieving sometimes don't present with their senses all in the correct order. Give people patience and compassion and you're off to a good start.

I've also noticed that grief will present as a reminder of past loss - death or otherwise. Recent death seems to give rise to emotions of loss allowing someone the opportunity to process that which has been left un-dealt.

Now for tomorrow's Celebration.

We are now a couple of days after the Celebration of Life for my friend, Emile. He was my co-worker. I wonder where that line between friend and co-worker lies. Do you know what I mean? Emile and I never intentionally had coffee together or went to the movies. One time he picked me up for work when I was without vehicle. That was nice. He made me a CD - that was nice. I can't remember the name of the guy but I remember listening to it and thinking how cool it was that Emile made me a CD. I love music. We were pleasant with each other and sometimes we even shared personal stories. That was nice. The sharing of personal stories. I guess friends and coworkers can be one in the same. I guess if we just show each other common compassion when struggling through what life determines necessity, we can all be friends.


Origin: 
before 900; Middle English friend, frend, Old English frēond friend, lover, relative (cognate with Old Saxon friund, Old HighGerman friunt  ( German Freund ), Gothic frijōnds ), orig. presentparticiple of frēogan,  cognate with Gothic frijōn  to love


I got the above from Dictionary.com. I looked up a definition on urbandictionary.com, but I think I'm too old to resonate with what's written. It's all nice, but really - is a friend someone who would die for you? Really? Another person wrote that a friend is someone you would change your opinions for. What does that even mean? I'm happy I'm not a teenager anymore. Perhaps if I read more into what was written it would make better sense...like the person might not change their opinions, but they would care enough about their friend and what the friend finds important that it might be eye opening enough for the other friend so see from the perspective of someone else and understand...maybe that's what the kid meant when he/she wrote it. I don't know.

I am happy to know that friend is connected with the Gothic word meaning 'to love' - that about sums it up right there.
Emile sent me this picture to be used as his identifier on my phone. This way I would have a picture of him on my phone for each time he sent me a text. I never got around to putting it on the phone. I love the picture.

No comments: