Hero.

Loading...

22 March 2011

Gabor Maté speaks about Addictions and Corrections



This video has a second part to it, you can find it on youtube with the same title just part 2 of 2 on the end.
Gabor Maté, what more to say? He has a message for everyone to hear. He speaks to intrigued individuals and his work is available for just the cost of bandwidth via youtube and other web-based venues. You can purchase his books - see the bottom of this post to order from Amazon.
His words resonate in me. I have a greater understanding of addiction, of pain, of people being people trying to obtain what's best for them in this life. We are all the same. We are all the same, you know, if you strip away all the material things. If I look at one person and realize that they were once just little and tiny and needing their mothers, their fathers - we are all the same. We were not all treated the same, raised the same, or encouraged in the same manner as even our siblings - but down to our core, we are all the same.
We interpret information differently. We heal our pain in different ways - but none of us enjoy pain - some people, this pain is all they know and therein lies the comfort. Heal your mental suffering and the body pain comes in second place. I believe when I engage in my addictive behaviours, I'm thinking to ease some mental suffering and I know I'm not thinking about the suffering of my body or others. For example: When I want to shop for a book, instead of taking that time to walk my dog for an hour, I will walk the aisles of two separate bookstores instead. If I went for a walk with Moksha, we would both be healthier and happier for it. Gabor has said something along the lines of his addiction is not even a blip on the radar for damage to self compared to the most hurting individuals he works with - I hear what he is saying. I can find myself somewhere on this continuum, but not anywhere near the grande scale of those most addicted individuals. I believe they are trying to quell the mental anguish in any way they can. I hope that I am able to convey the compassion we need as a society to help those most in need.

Fantastic read. Gabor Maté, MD is a fabulous writer. I believe he encourages the reader to see past the words and visualize the information and integrate it into their living. I am grateful for his ability as a writer to pose brain science to me, a layperson, in a way that I can comprehend.

No comments: