Hero.

Loading...

20 March 2011

Blalock's Indie Rock Playlist - March 2011

BIRP! Find them on Facebook and you won't be disappointed. I can't believe the work that must go into getting this music out there. Fabulous indeed.

I really enjoyed this month's playlist for sure! I had initially chose about 35 with five star and then after a few listens through I was able to bring it down to 10. I do have to give an honourable mentions to Starfucker, Bright Eyes, Radiohead, Lykke Li, tUnE-yArDs, Tory y moi, Young Galaxy, Young Liars, Foxes in Fiction, Absofacto, Banjo or Freakout...I was glad to see some familiar names, but I wasn't as happy with these ones as the 10 that I have chosen to showcase below :o) I hope you enjoy the mix I have put together.


Locomotive by Alex Winston 
There is something in her voice. I am drawn every time without fail.
I thought I might perhaps be moved by the humour and shock value of Sister Wife last month, but in all honesty, I'm lovin' her voice.

Contact High by Architecture in Helsinki - I'm not kidding; this song starts out sounding like Prince. Seriously. As the song continues, we hear 
the pop shine through with electric beats and synth guitar sounds. I'm really not sure they could look like more fun! Please check out their site. 
I got the picture from their site and I wouldn't want anyone to think I didn't give credit where credit is due. You can find direction to pick up this 
latest single, Contact High from iTunes. I also see they are on facebook.


Neon Love by Armistice 
Starts out sounding a little country and that eerie mystery surrounding a good western movie. I feel like I should have a cigarette smoking away 
in an overflowing ashtray while I think about some serious stuff. Know what I mean? The voices blend well together. By the end of the song I've 
figured out my most disconcerting thoughts and can relax. I am proud to say - this band is CANADIAN :)

Peach, Plum, Pear (Joanna Newsom) by blithe field
You have to listen to the song. It starts out kind of slow, but then the great voice of Joanna Newson kicks in and it is there that I knew I was hooked. I didn't even need to think about whether this song was going to make the final cut (as it were). I dance in my seated position while I key these words getting lost in the music. You can find them on myspace.

Float On by Cities Aviv
The name of the song is the same as one by Modest Mouse...don't be confused. I like this song. I'm pulled in close with the soothing loop beat 
and in comes the old-style hip hop sing song. I'm in this song.
Holidays by FLASHLIGHTS
I wanna have fun like 80's Madonna! And you know what? It's almost like I'm on a tropical holiday when the calipso (?) drums start - or maybe it's a drum machine or something. I don't know enough about instruments and stuff to really be informed or intelligent when I write about them! haha! Please be gentle with my descriptions. You can officially 'like' FLASHLIGHTS on facebook!


Nerves by HAPPY TRENDY
This song starts out not sounding very happy nor trendy at all. It, in fact, quite nearly gets on my nerves until the voice is introduced. However, it does sound hopeful. The low voice is near depressing, but I'm carried through and I'm not bored with it at all. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Honey Mine (Memoryhouse Remix) by Korallreven
I'm diggin this one straight away. I am loving remixes as of late. I like the continuous loops and familiarity it provides. Each time I listen to it I 
hear something new in the mix.


For What It's Worth by Maggie Eckford
This one is a shoulder shaker and sing along sweet song. The foot stomping happens after hearing the lyrics re: I still love you for what it's worth I still need you...I'm feeling for this singer. Should she let this person go? Or do they deserve her continual pining for?
les neuf soeurs by Mode Moderne


Quiet beginning is just enough to get me to the vocals and then I'm thinkin', "Is this Ian Curtis incarnate?" I had to pick it for that reason alone. I really like this song. I can picture him singing and dancing (well, moving arms back and forth and shaking his head).


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word. Nice "Peach Plum Pear." Check out a similar take on Joanna Newsom (a remix project by Calamus Root Magician) here

Phumbling said...

Very much appreciate the link! Thanks I'm downloading as I type.